I am so excited about the yard in our new house. We have so much space and I’m both delighted and overwhelmed by it. I’m not much of a gardener, and I know I can’t do it all at once, so I’m starting to plan and research, and of course my mind goes to books.
I want to create a literary green space. Keep in mind I’m in the day dreaming phase, but here are some ideas I’ve had.
- Lilies and petunias for a Harry Potter garden, along with some herbs and interesting looking “herbology” class plants.
- I’m really inspired by The Hundred Acre Wood–a sand play area for Roo’s Sandy Pit, Rabbit’s vegetable garden, a little log tucked away for a thoughtful spot. And hunny pot planters, of course.
- A flowering tree that has big white blossoms like the “White Way of Delight” in Anne of Green Gables.
- A spot with bright, colored flowers and curious looking plants that would be perfect for an Alice in Wonderland inspired tea party. Perhaps some interesting looking mushrooms, too!
- A little scarecrow post with Peter Rabbit’s blue jacket hanging on it.
- I’d love to find a way to tuck a tiny rose garden back in the woods that border our lawn to make our very own secret garden.
- A lamp post, so we can find our way home from Narnia.
And of course, I need one of these signs.
What am I missing? What books would be represented in your literary garden?